A shower pan is essentially the floor of a stall shower. These pans are constructed of durable material that can stand up to the excessive exposure to moisture; some of the most common materials include fiberglass and acrylic.
While a shower pan is designed to be extremely durable, no matter how strong it is, with excessive use, it is eventually going to experience wear and tear and need to be replaced. Avoid replacing it and you could be dealing with some pretty serious problems.
So, how do you know what the signs are that indicate a shower pan needs to be replaced? Here’s a look at some of the tell-tale signs that indicate it is time to do some work on your shower pan.
There Are Leaks
One of the most common signs that indicates your shower pan needs to be replaced is a leak. While leaks can also be the a sign that the caulking needs to be replaced or that the seal along the bottom of the door or one of the sides of the shower is loose or breaking down, leaks could definitely be a sign that the pan needs to be replaced.
There Is Movement
When you stand on your shower floor, do you notice that there is movement on the floor? If so, it’s definitely time to replace the shower pan. Not replacing a shower pan could lead to serious issues down the road.
There Are Cracks
Is your shower floor made out of plastic? If so, do you see cracks in it? Cracks in a plastic shower pan mean that it’s definitely time to have it replaced. Water will eventually penetrate these cracks, leading to serious water damage.
If you are experiencing any of these signs, you need to have your shower pan replaced as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
After a long day of work, your muscles are aching and your body is just sore. You can’t wait to head to your bathroom, fill up the bathtub, and take a hot, relaxing soak. Taking a bath not only eases your aches and pains, but it is a fantastic way to relieve stress and restore your peace of mind.
If you’re current bathtub is too small, in disrepair, or you just want to replace it with something new, you’re probably considering shopping for a new one. Before you head to the home improvement store, however, it’s a good idea to know what type of tub you would like. Believe it or not, there are so many options available, so it’s a pretty good idea to know what meets your needs.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular types of bathtubs available:
There are two main types of tubs:
- Freestanding and Platform Tubs. These tubs are extremely versatile and come in a wide range of styles. As the name suggests, they stand on their own and aren’t affixed to a wall. When most people think of a freestanding tub, they think of the classic claw-foot tub.
- Recessed Tubs. These tubs are affixed to a wall on either end and along the back. They only have one finished side and they are the most common type of tub because they are ideal for a shower, as well.
Both types of tubs are made from several different materials, including:
- Acrylic. This is the most common. This material can be made into a variety of styles and shapes, including acrylic pedestal tubs and acrylic corner tubs.
- Cast Polymer. This is another popular choice because it mimics the look of stone, yet offers the flexibility of synthetic.
- Enameled Cast Iron. This is extremely sturdy and is virtually indestructible.